Tuesday 21 August 2012

Fujifilm FinePix F600EXR Digital Camera - Red (16MP, 15 x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD Screen



I bought this camera while on my way to a Gig at Wembley. I was needing a compact camera capable of taking good low light shots without a flash and I'm glad that after some research I chose this camera.
I normally use a DSLR so my expectations were high but understanding of the limitations using a compact and I frankly was not disappointed. The camera easily took very good photos at the concert and it also provided some decent HD video footage too.
I paid £300 for jessops for this camera in November 2011 but at the same time amazon were selling it for £217, I think "300 was perhaps a little much but £217 is a GREAT price for such a capable little camera.

The camera itself is pretty small for all its able to do. It has a nice big screen on the back and the overall look and build feels good. There is a small rubberized area to allow a better hold on the right hands side which is needed considering the operation of the flash.

On the plus side:
-The photos are nearly as quick to capture as an SLR, making it easier to capture funny pet moments or racing shots.
-The photos are very clear and especially good in low light (I compared the same indoor low light shot with 2 other compacts and my SLR to this one, it was great in comparison!).
-It offers easy ways to attempt more artistic slow shutter / background blur shots (though sometimes this background blur isnt always accurate).
-The battery held out well when I used it at a gig, I'd taken over 400 shots and a 6 minute video with plenty juice to go (no flash mind you).
-The flash is very good for a compact and I found it in no way annoying being a pop up.
-Panoramic mode works well and sweeps for as long as you wish (up to 360)

On the negative side:
-The mode dial is tilted and sometimes I found it had been accidently changed.
-The flash pops up and isnt build in, which I dont mind as it probably explains why the flash is so good compared to other compacts, but sometimes I forgot it was pop up and was puzzled a minute or 2 as to why I couldnt find a flash option LOL (This is just because its new to me and I'll be a pro and remember in future :P).
-The video focus isnt smooth when you're zooming in and out, which isnt a big problem as its quick to refocus again and I didnt find any noise while zooming or anything. [edit: there is a motor noise while zooming, I didnt hear this with a concert being filmed).

As you can see, the negatives for the most part are cosmetic and in no way deter from the fact this camera is very capable.

Overall I'm incredibly impressed with this hand sized gadget. I can even feel confident leaving my DSLR at home often now and using this camera instead.
This possibly is a very small update on the 550, but considering its not far off £200 now, I dont think this is a point worth marking the camera down on, as I see has already happened.
I know its a new camera, but I felt the need to post a review up as reviews by people who dont actually own one aren't helpful.

Photo examples I've taken on the 600exr at the (roxette) concert to show you its ability in this situation. I see many people looking for a good camera to take to gigs, this one could be a serious option :)




Click to>>>>Panasonic camera

No comments:

Post a Comment